Wednesday 27 July 2011

Stanway Rovers FC


Monday found me tired and depressed. I was even grumpier than usual and so spent most of the day in bed asleep. It did mean that I felt rested when we set off for our next show in Stanway near Colchester. This first part of the journey involved driving cross-country to Bishops Stortford in order to avoid the motorways and seemed to take forever. That said, we arrived within fifteen minutes of our ETA and began loading in. The show was held in the clubhouse of the local football club and people were arriving even as we were loading in. They just kept on coming. It was a full house. I thought they were a bit reserved to begin with but Nicki soon had them warmed up.

When we play clubs in the north of the country we tend to play two sets, while those in the south ask for three sets from 8.00 until 11.00. It doesn't leave much time between sets, but Jason managed to sneak out during the first set and find a chippy, so I ate a portion of chips during the first interval which kept me going.

The crowd loved Nicki and gave her a standing ovation at the end. (All except one lady who took exception to Nicki, sat with her back to the stage and left early. Ah well, you can't please everyone)

We surprised the bar lady who was astonished at how quickly we were packed away and ready to leave. I did say we'd be quick if she made us some tea to take with us. It was a good bargain as we sped down the road to Birchanger Services where we found some half decent pasties in the Waitrose store. I found a microwave in the baby changing area so we had hot pasties before heading back to the M11- a journey involving a complete circuit of the Services thanks to Jason misreading the signs. I settled down in the back and was asleep when I was woken up by a strong vibration as if the van was driving over cobbles. It continued for several miles along the A14 and we pulled over to see if there was any mechanical defect or puncture causing it. We couldn't see anything so continued homeward. I dropped Jason off and parked the van on the drive, then went to bed.

I was woken up with the news that the rear nearside tyre was flat. Just as well there's no show tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment