Saturday 31 July 2010

Saturday July 31st





Six and a half weeks. Twenty five shows. Five thousand miles or more driven up and down the highways of the UK.
I wouldn't have missed it for the world. There was a distinct possibility that I might have done. Soon after last year's tour I was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocitic Leukaemia and I was to have six courses of chemotherapy over six months. In the event I had a couple of spells in hospital following complications and other minor niggles meant that I'd only had four courses by the beginning of May.
When I was told that I had to have two more within weeks of the tour beginning I feared that I'd be too ill to play.
In the event the fifth course went without a hitch and I declared myself fit enough to play. It meant that I had to take it easy and rest as much as possible. My son Chris drove the van and looked after the PA and tuning Nicki's mandolin (she really strums it hard!)and with everyone's help we got through.

Tonight we join up with Barbary Coast once more. Nicki and Bob are due to play an acoustic set during the evening. They then head off to Heathrow before flying out on Sunday.
Plans are afoot for two tours in 2011, one in July and the other in September.

I have my sixth and hopefully final course of chemo on Monday.
God willing, I'll be raring to go come next July.

Nicki Gillis, Rocking your (and our)country!

1 comment:

  1. What a trouper Dave!
    You are an inspiration and - I know -inspired.
    As you come in to the last lap of this tour , we'd love to say hello again this evening -so may see you then.
    Andy & Denise.

    ReplyDelete