Monday 12 July 2010

Americana- Part One

I woke in good time and got myself ready, all the time speaking to Chris, trying to wake him. His alarm went off and he switched it off and resumed his slumbers. I continued packing and realised that I didn't have my glasses. I managed to wake Chris and we searched the room before someone said that my glasses were in the bathroom. Doh!
Anyway the result was that Chris was up and ready in time for the short trip to the ferry terminal. We met up with Bob, Nicki and Tracy and were loaded on an earlier ferry again. We drove up to Winchester where we stocked up on food, filled up with diesel and Chris bought some shorts. yes, it was another hot day.
The trip up to Newark was punctuated by a stop at Leicester Forest East services. Cozy met up with his wife and son and they continued to the festival together, Nicki Bob & Tracy stopped for lunch and the free wi-fi, so Chris and I continued to the venue alone.
We got checked in and almost the first person I met was George Hamilton IV. We hadn't met since the Whitby Gospel Music Convention in May, and he then introduced me to singer Gail Davies. George and his guitarist Colin (a member of Live Issue and a friend from Whitby) were singing a duet with Gail during her set.
I went out front to watch her band perform and they were excellent, a real treat. The area in front of the stage was packed with people sitting in folding chairs listening to their favourite music and soaking up the sun. We listened to George, Gail and Colin and the band as they sang one of Gail's songs together and then wandered around the showground to look at the stalls and the exhibits.


The Americana Festival is huge, with two live music arenas, one for Rock and Roll and the other for country music. There were big trucks, Winnebagos and classic cars everywhere. There was an exhibition shed full of Harley Davidson bikes.
In the far corner, past the funfair, there was a Wall of Death.......
We returned to the backstage area and after a cup or two of tea, got ready for our performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment