Saturday 19 June 2010

Friday June 18th Pickering Country Music Festival

Fridays are not the best days to travel on UK's motorways. Our first show was at the Pickering Country Music Festival at Rosedale Abbey, deep in the North Yorkshire Moors. We had to be there at 5 in the afternoon so that mean we had to leave Kettering just after 11.
Chris drove the van and I sat in the front passenger seat. First stop was in Wellingborough where we picked up Robbo and Steve, who together with Cozy and Bob were the other band on the bill- Barbary Coast.
Next stop was Northampton where we filled up with diesel for the van and some food for me, then collected Cozy and the rest of his drum kit.
Then we headed north. Nicki, Tracy and Bob were already on the M1 about twenty minutes in front of us, so we met up at Leicester Forest East services.
We then drove in convoy to our destination, with rain showers and traffic jams along the way. We made good time and arrived at around 5.30 and set up.
We had a solo singer on the bill with us, so each act played two sets. Bob and Cozy played four sets in all. The stage was about the warmest place on the site. The wind was from the North and was very biting.
I stayed in the van when we weren't playing as I have to nurse my health. I hadn't played with a band since last summer and my ears played me tricks. My bass sounded out of tune although it wasn't, so I had to play by instinct.
It was like we hadn't been apart for the last eleven months. I really enjoyed the experience although it was so cold. When the show was over we got packed up and away by 12.30 and Chris drove us all the way back with a couple of convenience breaks and to top up with diesel. As we left the M1 to join the A14 I heard the dawn chorus and it was light by time we'd dropped everyone off. I got into bed just after 5 o'clock and awake at about eleven.
I've got a sore throat and earache. I'll have to take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment