Sunday 9 May 2021

Never say never!

How could I have forgotten this? In May 2018 Nicki was in the UK playing her Carol King show in theatres up and down the country. Her manager Tracy had two requests to play her country show, one at High Wycombe and the other at Dumbleton in deepest Gloucester.
We'd played that club on every tour and I'm not exaggerating when I say that they love her there. 
Tracy rang me and asked if I fancied playing bass? Chris was the drummer and Lee was on guitar and I'd played with them many times- indeed- my last gig with Nicki in 2011 had that line-up.
I was really flattered to be asked. However, there were a couple of issues to be faced.
One- I hadn't played in Nicki's band for seven years;
Two- I hadn't played bass on stage since then either;
Three- I hadn't played at that volume since then;
Four- Could I remember the songs and learn the new ones without a rehearsal?
Five- was I physically fit enough?

The first night was in a social club on the outskirts of High Wycombe. I found it really hard to stand back and let everyone else carry the kit. My ears popped a bit during the sound check and I sat on my stool as much as possible. It's strange to say- but the venues in the south of the country insist on three sets while those further north tend to ask for two. The first set ended and Tracy came backstage to give his verdict which was full of praise, saying that as far as he was concerned this line-up was the best ever.
The next show was a return to Dumbleton. We travelled together in the van and stopped for a break at a services outside Alcester on the A46. We could hear the unmistakable sound of a Merlin engine but our view was obstructed by a stand of poplar trees. We decided to extend our break and were treated to the sight and sounds of a Spitfire and a Bristol Blenheim as they entertained the crowds at the Midlands Air Festival in nearby Ragley Hall.



We arrived at the venue and loaded in (the bar staff kindly made me a cup of tea). Every seat in the club was taken before we started our show and the crowd clapped and cheered every song.
That was the last time I played on stage with Nicki. It's shame that my health issues in 2011 meant I had to call time on it.  




No comments:

Post a Comment